Mascarpone and Blackberry Stuffed French Toast
This stuffed french toast is slightly indulgent and perfect for a slow Saturday morning. Creamy mascarpone cheese, smashed tart blackberries, and a bit of lemon zest gets sandwiched between two slices of buttery brioche. Coated in a traditional french toast batter and fried in butter — it’s delicious, rich, and just what you need after a long week.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 thick cut slices For the Love of Bread Traditional French Brioche
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- butter, for frying
- maple syrup, for serving
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the blackberries with sugar and lemon zest until a jammy consistency is reached.
- Spread the mascarpone cheese evenly onto one slice of brioche and top with the mashed blackberries.
- Place the remaining slice of brioche on top and close into a sandwich.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk the egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
- Dip the sandwich in the egg mixture until evenly coated on all sides.
- Heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat with a knob of butter.
- Gently transfer the stuffed french toast to the skillet and fry until golden brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Enjoy immediately with a dollop of mascarpone cheese, blackberries, and maple syrup.