Spicy fried capers are a zingy addition to our tomato toast recipe this week. We love capers as they are, but pop them into a pan with some olive oil, chili, oregano and they transform into crunchy little flavor bombs. We use these fried capers as a topping for our tomato toast with garlic rubbed sourdough and fresh oregano to finish. This recipe is also a great vegan option that doesn’t disappoint on flavor. Briny and bold!
For the capers
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, leaves removed from the stem
Dry the capers on paper towels so that any extra liquid brine is removed. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and add the capers, aleppo pepper, and oregano. Fry until the capers are blistered with the shells slipping off ever so slightly, about 3-4 minutes.
For the tomato toast
- 2 slices For the Love of Bread country sourdough batard, toasted and halved
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 175 grams cherry tomatoes, halved
- fried capers
- salt, aleppo pepper, fresh oregano leaves to finish
Rub the garlic clove over the toasts and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the cherry tomatoes on the toasts and spoon the fried capers on top. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top and season with a sprinkle of salt, a dash of aleppo pepper, and a few oregano leaves. Enjoy!